This is a list of the 6 best tools for trademark search in India.
The best part? You can complete your trademark registration online for a professional fee of Rs 1,500 to Rs 3,000. You can also start using ™ symbol near your trademark within 3 to 5 days of filing your trademark application.
Let’s get started …
Government of India (GOI) authority to register trademark and maintain central trademark registry is the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks. It’s head office is in Mumbai and branch offices are in Ahmedabad, Chennai, Delhi and Kolkata.
You can search central trademark registry on the Government website linked above. Though user interface of the website is not that great, it gets the job done. And the best part? It’s the most comprehensive trademark database and is available for free.
Here is a demo video by Umeshkumar Tarsariya to get you a quick sense of searching central trademark registry.
India Filings provides an easy way to complete trademark search through its online tool. With its easy-to-use interface, this tool provides quick result as shown below.
However, India Filings mentions that its tool might not have the most up-to-date trademark application data.
While searching for the trademark, you need to be aware of the class of services or goods your trademark belongs to out of 45 classes available. To help you in this process, India Filings also provides a supplementary tool to search for trademark class.
India Filings also offers an easy way to register the trademark that you are searching for. You can file for trademark application through India Filing for a fee of Rs 5,988 along with free consultation on the registration process and documents required.
Vakil Search offers to register your trademark within 3 working days. Though there is no information about cost of trademark registration on its website.
Here is the complete process to register trademark with Vakil Search:
- Fill-up the trademark registration form. You would need following documents: type and main objective of your business, name of the brand / slogan or logo and your address.
- Vakil Search would now conduct a thorough search check availability of your trademark. It would also recommend the class for trademark should belong. For example, an online store would be in a different class from a restaurant.
- After filing your application, you can start using ™ symbol near your trademark.
- After receiving your application, the Government would take around 18 to 24 months to confirm your registration and give you a Certificate. You can then use the ® symbol next to your trademark.
It would conduct thorough search for your trademark, and advise you on trademark class as well as registration process. Finally, it would file trademark application on your behalf.
Registration Wala offers to conduct a thorough search for your trademark in a database of 15 lakh companies and 40 lakh trademarks registered across all classes in India.
Here is a quick search result on Registration Wala’s easy to use search tool:
Though the tool seems comprehensive in search result, it lacks search filters to help you streamline your search.
For a total fee of Rs 6,499 per class (that would include Government fee of Rs 4,500 and GST), Registration Wala would help you file registration for your trademark. Your trademark could be anything including any word, logo, symbol, mark, phrase that distinguishes your goods.
Registration Wala would help you complete your registration filing within 3 working days.
Is the tool free to paid? Do you need to register to use the tool? process?
Do they offer trademark registration? How much it costs to get trademark registered? Time taken? process?
Quality: How comprehensive?
For an all inclusive fee of Rs 6,269, Legal Rasta offer to register your trademark.
Following are the steps for trademark registration:
- Search trademark (1 day): A thorough search would ensure that you have a unique trademark that doesn’t conflict with any other trademark that is already registered.
- Give authorisation to file trademark on your belief (1 day).
- Submit trademark registration form (1 day). You can start using the ™ symbol with your trademark after submitting your registration form.
- Get your trademark certificate: After submitting, Government will take around 18 to 24 months to provide your a certificate for your trademark, provided there is no opposition by any other party. In case of objections, you would need to pay an additional fee.
Legal Rasta has an online tool (click here) but, the last we checked, it doesn’t work. Anyway, it must have some internal process to check availability of a trademark.
Quick Company offers trademark search tool to search public database of Intellectual Property India (GOI). It’s tool has easy-to-use, modern interface with up-to-date data and various search filters. The search result includes trademark owner’s name and address.
Quick Company also shows interesting stats about recent trademark application through Intellectual Property India (GOI).
Here is a quick trademark search result on Quick Company. Notice the comprehensive search filters that would help you zero down in your search.
Quick Company provides comprehensive trademark search and registration process for at different price points:
- Rs 11,999 per class for trademark registration for a company. This includes Government fee of Rs 9,000 and GST.
- Rs 5,999 per class for trademark registration for a startup, a small business and an individual. This includes Government fee of Rs 4,500 and GST.
Quick Company would conduct trademark research within an hour and file for your registration within 1 day. Getting government approval for your trademark may take 10 to 24 months.
Recommendation for Trademark Registration Service
Our recommendation to register trademark goes to Quick Company.
Quick company offers the most up-to-date trademark search tool with user-friendly interface and multiple search filters. That would help you tremendously in running search through various trademark names that you have in mind.
Quick company also offers trademark registration service at a competitive rate with a quick turn around time.
Hence, we recommend Quick Company for your trademark registration requirements.
In case you are wondering whether you should register a trademark or how a trademark would help your business, click here to read our another article – 13 top tips to trademark in India.